Monday 10 January 2011

Film #11 The Way Back

Photobucket

I think this was the first time I’ve arrived at the cinema too late to catch the beginning of a film. I’m not sure how much I missed but it couldn’t have been much because there wasn’t a great deal of plot to establish before the action kicks in. “Inspired by true events” (a phrase I have always found rather dubious), The Way Back tells the story of a group of prisoners who escape a Siberian Gulag (POW camp) during World War Two and their ensuing journey to find freedom from communism. The film follows your basic walk to freedom arc as these men travel for months from Siberia to India, their numbers getting thinner as they go. The performances are solid enough and the scenery is pretty, but the film generally lacks the emotional resonance needed to achieve any long lasting effect after leaving the theatre, like a two hour journey with no destination.
2/5

No comments:

Post a Comment